When you are renting an apartment, especially in Florida, saving money on energy costs can be essential – think about all those high bills just from you’re A/C! Here are a few tips to help you stay energy efficient:
- Lighting is a great place to start saving energy. Replace your frequently used light bulbs with energy efficient ones (compact fluorescent). Switching over to these new bulbs can save you $65 a year in energy costs. Helpful Hint: Make sure you turn out a light as you leave a room to save even more energy.
- You can reduce your water heating costs by simply lowering the thermostat setting on your water heater. For each 10ºF reduction in water temperature, you can save between 3%–5% in energy costs.
- If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, adjust the temperature in your apartment to save large amounts in energy costs per year.
- Keep your blinds open during the day to take advantage of natural, solar heating in winter but, keep the blinds closed during the day in summer to keep rooms cool.
- Make sure to caulk around doors and windows to reduce draft and increase comfort naturally.
- Change filters often to keep air conditioning and heating running smoothly.
- Wash your laundry in cold water whenever possible. Hot water accounts for the majority of energy used in wash cycles.
- Don’t over dry your clothes and make sure you cycle full loads through the washer and dryer.
- Keep from constantly opening the refrigerator and freezer doors by getting the things you need in groups and quickly. The more often you open the doors or stand with the doors open, the more the refrigerator/freezer has to work to keep it cold.
- Turn off water when not using it (shaving, doing dishes, brushing teeth)
With these tips from Garden Communities of Florida, you will be saving tons of money – as well as energy – in no time!