While renting an apartment is not as big of a commitment as purchasing a place, it’s still a BIG commitment and one that should be thoroughly thought out. Before you put pen to paper to sign a lease, ask yourself what’s important to you in an apartment rental and verify with your possible new landlord that the place you’re interested in meets those needs.
Consider asking these questions:
- How much is rent?
- What does rent include, perhaps some utilities?
- Aside from any utilities I will be responsible to pay each month, what else will I need to pay to live in one of your apartments?
- Is a security deposit required and if so much, how much is it? (Note: The norm is a month and half rent is required as a security deposit.)
- What forms of payment do you accept as rent payment? (Sometimes rent can be paid online!)
- Is there a laundry room on-site? (A washer and dryer are included in each of our Hillsborough and Brevard County rentals.)
- If maintenance is needed, who do I call and how long will they take to tend to a problem?
- What types of repairs will I be responsible for?
- Are pets allowed? If so, is there an extra cost to have them? (There often is an additional deposit or fee for a pet.)
- What is security like and is the property well lit at night?
- How about parking? If there is more than one person living in my apartment, will we each get our own parking space?
- What is the noise like? Can you hear your neighbors through the walls?
- Am I allowed to paint the walls?
- Is the stove gas or electric?
- What kind of air condition do your apartments have?
- Are there hardwood floors or new carpet?
- Is trash picked up or am I to drop it off some place? If so, where?
- Where are the closest grocery stores, gas stations, and where is the closest hospital?
Once your questions have been answered, you can make an informed decision on the community to call home. We sure hope it’s a Garden Communities Florida Rental Apartment, but if it’s not, we forgive you!